Wednesday, April 6, 2011
I am back and will be posting more often. Sopa de Pan en Cazuela literally means 'bread soup in a bowl' but that doesn't translate very well because where else would you serve soup but in a bowl? This soup might seem a little unusual or at least that is what I have been told but it is very good. It is very easy to make and I thought it would be the perfect send off before the really hot weather sets in. This recipe is really just a guideline, back home nobody uses exact measurements - adjust to your tastes. Some recipes have ham, beef, corn etc. but I am a purist and love this basic version. The recipe can be easily cut in half or made just for one. It is a complete meal in one delicious, steaming hot bowl, I hope you try it - enjoy!
12 slices toasted french bread
2 cups Mozzarella Cheese, cubed
12 cups Chicken Broth
2 tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
2 small onion, finely chopped
3 TBSP butter
1/2 cup cilantro, finely chopped
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees
2. In a medium pan melt butter and saute tomato and onion until soft
3. In 6 big, ovenproof bowls arrange layers as follows:
2 pieces of toasted bread
Sauteed tomato and onion mixture (evenly distributed among 6 bowls)
Ketchup (a squirt in each bowl)
Ladle hot chicken broth to fill bowls
Sprinkle generously with Cilantro
4. Place bowls on a cookie sheet and in the oven for 6-8 minutes or until eggs are set.
5. Very carefully take out of the oven, add a tsp of cream to each bowl and serve.