Monday, March 7, 2011

Homemade Flour Tortillas


I think you have probably already noticed I like to make things from scratch and not only because I think it is healthier (no added preservatives) but I can also adjust ingredients to make it just how I want. These tortillas freeze well but do not last more than a day or two so freeze any leftover tortillas quickly but I have a feeling they won't be around long. I eat a lot of carbs, and I don't buy into the whole zero-carb policy, we need carbs for energy. I remember a friend at work a few years ago that was overweight - she went on a NO CARB diet and lost a lot of weight then the diet ended she ate one grain of rice and gained it all back. I think when people go on a diet, any diet they try to move more adding exercise, that is how you lose weight it's not the fault of my poor, delicious carbs! On that note since these tortillas are so easy to make I usually have them for breakfast with a little butter and cinnamon sugar sprinkled on top _YUM everything in moderation! I will be posting a mexican chicken enchilada recipe soon that is to die for with these homemade tortillas.

Ingredients
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 tsp vegetable oil
3/4 cups warm milk

Directions
1. Mix together flour, baking powder, salt and oil in a medium bowl
2. Slowly add warm milk, stir with a large wooden spoon until sticky
3. Knead for 2 minutes on a floured surface
4. Place in a bowl and cover with a damp cloth or plastic wrap for 25 minutes
5. Divide into 8 equal portions and roll into ball
6. Place on a plate and cover 10 minutes
7. Place 1 ball on floured surface, spread out to a 4-inch circle using the palm of your hand.
8. Then using a rolling pin, roll from center to make an 8-inch round; set aside and continue with remaining portions
9. In a greased skillet over high heat cook about 30 seconds per side or until done.

8 8-inch tortillas

2 comments:

  1. Are you kidding me. You rock. I grew up in Southern California and have only had homemade flour tortillas a handful of times. I have never made them myself because my friends that made them said they were a lot of work. These look great. I should try to make them. I always spend extra money buying the lower sodium whole grain ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will definitely be making these - I didn't know flour tortillas were so easy to make :)

    ReplyDelete