Wednesday, September 21, 2011
Chocolate Cream Bundles with a Sweet Cream Basil Sauce
If you are looking to make a crowd pleasing unusual yet delicious mini-desert this recipe is for you. A few years ago my sister made a chocolate cake with a similar simple syrup basil sauce. I was skeptical at first, basil for dessert? I tasted it and wow, the combination of flavors are delicious.
1 small bunch basil (about 40-50 leaves)
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
6 oz Philadelphia Cream Cheese, divided
3 TBSP milk
2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup fine quality cocoa
1 sheet Puff Pastry, thawed (1/2 of a 17.3 oz package)
1. In a small saucepan, bring sugar and water to a boil; simmer until the sugar is dissolved, 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool completely.
2. Blanch basil leaves in boiling water 30 seconds (this will help to keep the leaves a bright green)
3. Place in ice water bath. Drain again and put in a blender, add the simple syrup (sugar and water mixture) and 2 oz cream cheese
4. Blend 1 minute; set aside
5. In a medium bowl combine 4 oz cream cheese and milk well. Slowly add powdered sugar, mixing well.
6. Add cocoa and salt. Beat until well combined; set aside
7. Preheat oven to 400º. Unfold the pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface. Roll the pastry into a 12-inch square. Cut the pastry into 9 (4-inch) squares.
8. Finely chop 3 basil leaves and firmly press into the puff pastry squares
9. Place about 2 tablespoons chocolate cream mixture in the center of each square. Brush the edges of the squares with water.
10. Bring the corners of each square to the center on top of the filling. Twist tightly to seal, fanning out the corners. Place the pastries 2 inches apart on a baking sheet.
11. Bake the bundles for 15 minutes or until they're golden brown.
12. Serve with basil cream sauce for dipping