Monday, January 17, 2011

Chicken & Veggie Soup


I can't seem to get enough of this soup! I have made it 3 times already this year. Since I have been in 'healthy' mode I have found this soup to be the most satisfying. For a starch I have made it with potatoes, yuca, and noodles but by far my favorite is brown rice, you can add your favorite. This is also great with homemade broth but I didn't have time so I just used store bought broth - it was delicious! Not cooking the chicken in the soup makes it less greasy, which is an added plus. It is my birthday this week so I will be going out for PIZZA!!!! Good thing I have been having plenty of this healthy soup... it's time to be a little bad :)

Ingredients
1 TBSP olive oil
1 cup onion, sliced
3 cups carrots, sliced 1" pieces
1/2 cup brown rice (raw- not pre-cooked or par-boiled)
1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp salt
8 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
1 sprig each of parsley and cilantro (leave whole, you will remove when done)
1 cup fresh peas
2 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded

Directions
1. Heal the oil in a large pot, add onion and sauté until translucent
2. Add next six ingredients and cook about 5 minutes, stirring
3. Add broth and sprigs of parsley and cilantro; bring to a boil
4. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes
5. Add peas, adjust seasoning and simmer and additional 5-10 minutes or until brown rice is done
6. Add the chicken heat through and serve

Tip: I serve this with sliced limes, finely chopped cilantro and garlic toast.
Optional Additions: 1 TBSP sliced fresh ginger, 1 cup fresh mushrooms, 1 cup thawed, chopped and drained frozen spinach, 1 cup peeled, seeded, and diced tomatoes. Any one of these can be added in Step 2

1 comment:

  1. A very light and healthy soup. I love it! Thanks for sharing this recipe :)

    ReplyDelete