Sunday, January 16, 2011

Coffee Coffee Cake


Well here's another sweet....this turned out better than expected, I tried something a little different from my usual coffee cake - I made a center filling with instant espresso and powdered sugar - YUM!. At some point I am going to have to stop saying I 'hate' sweets because apparently I don't. I haven't posted too many but enough to make me think I just might like them a little.....

Ingredients
Topping
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup sifted all-purpose flour
1/4 cup butter, room temperature
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Filling
3 tsp instant coffee (espresso)
1/2 cup powdered sugar

Cake
1 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg, beaten
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup melted butter
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions
1. Topping - In small mixing bowl, combine topping ingredients. Blend with fork until crumbly; set aside.
2. Filling - Combine center ingredients well; set aside
3. Cake - Combine 1 1/2 cups flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl.
4. In a medium bowl, beat together beaten egg, 3/4 cup sugar and 1/3 cup melted butter.
5. Add milk and vanilla. Stir in flour mixture and mix well.
6. Pour half of the batter into a greased and floured 8-inch square pan.
7. Sprinkle the filling mixture evenly over the top
8. Pour in the rest of the batter
9. Sprinkle topping crumb mixture evenly over batter.
10. Bake at 375° for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean.

Servings 6

1 comment:

  1. For someone who doesn't like sweets - you sure do have a talent for making great ones :)

    ReplyDelete