Sunday, January 23, 2011

Soft & Delicious Dinner Rolls


I have been in the baking mode lately, and I had all but given up on making SOFT dinner rolls. I decided to dust off my previous attempts, adjust a few things and I actually got soft dinner rolls....yay!!! Most people are afraid of baking - so am I - but in a matter of a week I have made a GREAT pizza dough, these soft dinner rolls and bagels. I will post those next, they are so easy. I was always so afraid to have to boil dough before placing in the oven but thankfully it worked out - quite a successful day for me, can't say the same for my Bears & Jets (football play-offs) :(

Ingredients
1 envelope Active dry yeast
1/4 cup very warm water
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup scalding hot milk
1 egg –lightly beaten
4 1/2 cups of sifted all purpose flour
2 Tablespoons of melted butter for brushing rolls

Directions
1. Sprinkle the yeast over very warm water in a large bowl. Stir until yeast dissolves.
2. Add sugar, the 1/4 cup butter and salt to hot milk and stir until the sugar dissolves and butter is melted. Cool mixture to 105 to 115 degrees.
3. Add milk mixture to yeast, then beat in egg. Beat in 4 cups of flour, one cup at a time to form soft dough.
4. Knead the dough lightly for 5 minutes, working in the remaining flour (use if for flouring your cloth and hands).
5. Place dough in a warm buttered bowl; turn greased side up. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, about 1 1/2 hrs.
6. Punch dough down and knead 4 to 5 minutes on a lightly floured surface. Dough will be sticky, but use as little flour as possible
7. Pinch off small chunks of dough and shape into round rolls. Place in even rows, not quite touching, in a well-buttered 13x9x2 pan.
8.Cover rolls and let rise in warm place until doubled, 30-45min.
9. Brush tops of rolls generously with melted butter, then bake in a 375′ oven for 18-20minutes or until nicely browned.

24 rolls

1 comment:

  1. OMG they look good. I could have a bagel for breakfast every morning and be happy. I love the bagels at a local bakery but you know what I prefer only poppy seed and they only make one with everything on it. I need to try your recipe. They sound so good.

    ReplyDelete