Friday, December 3, 2010
Boston Baked Beans
If you have never tried to make baked beans from scratch here is your chance. With the cold weather upon us, well not so much for me (I live in South Florida - but I am a major wimp), you can enjoy a big, warming bowl of baked beans. They do take time to soak/cook but the actual hands on-time is minimal. Menu ideas-I love these baked beans as a side with a grilled cheeseburger and coleslaw.
1 lb northern white beans, dry
1 tsp salt
1 cup ketchup
1 15 oz can tomato sauce
2 tsp dry mustard
2/3 cup molasses
1/3 cup brown sugar
1. Rinse and pick over the dry beans. Soak in water, covering completely overnight
2. Place in a large pot and cover with 5 inches of water.
3. Bring to a boil for about 1 hour, until beans are tender
4. Drain the beans and place in the same pot with the remaining ingredients
5. Simmer, stirring occasionally for 1-2 hours or until all flavors are combined