Tuesday, December 14, 2010
As you can tell from my past recipes, I am a big fan of comfort foods and lasagna is no exception. A plate full of pasta, chicken, spinach and bubbling cheese, sooo good. This lasagna is one of my favorites, it is much lighter than the regular meat lasagna but just as comforting. I first tried this at a restaurant in Colombia and have been perfecting it for a while, I think I got it, give it a try and let me know what you think.
Ingredients For The Sauce
6 TBSP butter
4 TBSP flour
4 cups milk
2 tsp dry sherry
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
Ingredients For 'The Stuffing'
2 TBSP butter
1 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
2 cups tomatoes, peeled, seeded and finely chopped
2 (10oz) pkgs. frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
4 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
1 lb mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 cup gouda cheese, shredded
1 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
9 pre-cooked lasagna noodles
6 pimento stuffed olives
2 TBSP fresh parsley, chopped
Directions For the Sauce
1. Melt the butter in a medium pan; add the flour stirring constantly for 1 minute
2. Remove from heat and slowly add milk stirring constantly so that no clumps form. Place on heat again and continue to cook until thickened, stirring constantly.
3. Add the sherry, dry mustard, salt and pepper; set aside
Directions For 'Stuffing'
1. Melt the butter in a large pan; Add onion and cook until translucent about 5 minutes
2. Add the tomatoes and continue cooking 3-5 minutes
3. Add the spinach, chicken, oregano salt and pepper; set aside
1. Combine the mozzarella, gouda and parmesan in a bowl
2. Preheat oven to 375º
3. Grease a 9x13 baking dish. Spread 1/3 of the sauce mixture in the bottom of the dish. Top with 1/3 of the noodles, sauce, chicken mixture and cheeses. Repeat the layering (noodles, sauce, chicken mixture and cheeses) twice leaving enough cheese to evenly cover the top layer.
4. Arrange olives on top and sprinkle with parsley
5. Bake for 35-45 minutes or until brown & bubbly. Let stand 5 minutes.