Monday, December 27, 2010
Creamy White Asparagus and Chicken Crepes
If you have never tried white asparagus I highly recommend a trip to the market for a few jars. White asparagus come from the deprivation of light, dirt is kept mounded around the emerging stalk. The plant cannot produce chlorophyll without light, so there is no green color to the stalks. They have a sweet-tart taste and a smooth texture. I like to make the sauce for the crepes very mild so it doesn't overpower the delicate flavor of the asparagus - it is a simple butter and cream sauce. When I have time I like to make my own crepes but if you are short on time you can use store-bought crepes, they will do in a pinch. This recipe calls for 8-10 crepes.
1 tsp salt
2 cups flour
2 1/4 cups milk
1/4 cup butter, melted
Combine ingredients in a blender for 1 minute. Refrigerate in blender overnight.
Let batter get to room temperature, blend an additional 30 seconds
Cook in crepe pan (6-7 inch frying pan) until bubbly. Flip and continue with remaining batter
Makes 32-36 crepes (Freeze the extras in between wax paper for later use)
2 tablespoons butter
1 small onion, diced
1 1/4 cups cooked chicken, shredded
1/2 cup gruyere cheese, grated
1/2 cup reduced fat sour cream
salt and pepper
16 oz jar white asparagus
1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 cups cream mixed with 2 tsp cornstarch
2 TBSP sherry
1 tsp tarragon
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
1 cup parmesan cheese
1. To make the filling, cook the onion in the butter until just soft and golden. Remove from heat
2. Stir in the chicken, gruyere cheese, sour cream, salt and pepper to taste and mix well.
3. Divide between the crepes and roll them up (cigar-style) placing 1 white asparagus first and then about 2 TBSP of the filling along the asparagus.
4. Arrange in a greased 8x8 dish; set aside
5. Preheat oven to 375º
6. To make the sauce melt the butter in a medium pan; add the cream, sherry, tarragon, salt and pepper
7. Once heated through add the parmesan and continue to cook until cheese is melted
8. Spoon over the crepes.
9. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly