Wednesday, December 15, 2010
I love soup this time of year and this is a hearty one. Serve with crusty garlic bread and you have an easy weeknight meal. This stew is very versatile so you can add your favorite white fish.
2 tsp olive oil
1 cup onion, chopped
1 1/2 cups carrots, chopped into cubes
1 large garlic clove, pressed
1/2 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp each of salt and black pepper
2 1/4 cups water
1 can (14.5 oz) reduced sodium chicken broth
1 1/2 lbs all purpose potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks
1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes
1(8 oz) can tomato sauce
1 lb frozen or fresh white fish fillets (cod, tilapia, halibut), cut into 1" chunks
1. Heat oil in a heavy pot over medium heat. Add onions and carrots, stirring often until onions are translucent.
2. Add the garlic, thyme, salt and pepper
3. Add water, broth, potatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender
4. Add tomatoes and tomato sauce bring just to a boil and add fish.
5. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until fish is done