Thursday, December 2, 2010

Peas, peas and more peas...


This will be my last post related to Colombia at least until I go back to visit. I don't know if I have ever seen fresh peas in the US but I am sure they are available in farmer's markets. In Colombia that is all you can find actually, the only frozen vegetables sold there are corn and carrots. I remember as a little girl sitting in the kitchen shelling peas for hours, you need a huge bag of pea pods for it to be enough for a group.
As you have probably already guessed I love peas...fresh peas - they are so different from the frozen or canned varieties. Well I ate a lot of peas last week and this might sound strange to many but back home you have peas with a dallop of mayo - don't knock it until you try it but I agree it sounds odd. I am not sure if it is customary there or if it's just something my family invented but we all add mayo to our peas. Try the following recipe with or without mayo on top and if you can find fresh peas definitely use those if not it is great with frozen peas too.

Fresh Peas With Mint

Ingredients
2 TBSP butter
2 cups fresh peas or (16 ounces frozen peas, thawed and drained)
1/4 of a white onion, diced small
juice of half a lime
2 tsp seasoned salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 TBSP fresh mint leaves, chopped

Directions
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
Add peas and cook until tender about 8-10 minutes; drain and set aside
In a large skillet melt the butter, add the onion and cook until translucent about 3-4 minutes
Add the peas, lime juice, seasoned salt and black pepper until heated through
Add mint and stir. Serve Immediately
Tip: Fresh peas take longer than frozen peas. If using frozen peas do not cook just add drained peas to skillet and continue as above.
Servings 4


No comments:

Post a Comment