Sunday, November 21, 2010
Apple Bacon Stuffing
1 loaf french bread
1 lb. bacon, diced
1-1/3 cups chopped celery
1-1/3 cups sliced leeks
1-1/3 cups chopped apples (mix green and red apples)
1 8 oz jar sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup chopped fresh, flat-leaf parsley
2 Tbs. chopped fresh sage
2 Tbs. chopped fresh thyme
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup dry sherry
1/4 cup melted butter
1 cup chicken broth, more as needed
2 eggs, lightly beaten
cooking spray, for baking dish
1. Cut the bread into bite size pieces until you have 8 cups.
2. Place the bread on a rimmed baking sheet and bake in a 275° F oven, until it is crisp and mostly dry, stirring occasionally - 15-20 minutes
3. In a large skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat
4. Add the celery, leeks, mushrooms and apples and cook, stirring occasionally, until they're slightly softened. Add salt and pepper
5. Add to a large mixing bowl; Add the bread, parsley, sage and thyme
6. Pour 1/4 cup sherry, butter and chicken broth to the mixture
7. Toss the mixture, stirring occasionally for a few minutes until the liquid is absorbed. Add another 1/2 cup of broth if mixture is too dry (you want it to be moist not soggy) Add up to another 1/2 cup of broth if necessary.
8. Taste and adjust salt and pepper.
9. Stir in the eggs and blend everything well.
10. Heat the oven to 375°F. Lightly grease a 9x13-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Pour in the stuffing cover tightly with foil, and bake until about 30 minutes. Remove the foil and continue to bake until the top is lightly browned and crisp, another 20 minutes.