Saturday, November 20, 2010
Tomato Sherry Soup
Now that it is getting chilly try a great warming tomato soup. If you are like me (I need carbs :) and do not feel satisfied with a soup, serve with a grilled cheese panini and some avocado slices.
6 TBSP butter
1 onion, finely diced
4 cups tomatoes, peeled, seeded and finely chopped
2 cups chicken broth
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 cup sherry
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 TBSP fresh parsley, chopped
1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
1. Sauté onions in butter until translucent over medium heat.
2. Add tomatoes, chicken broth, sugar, salt, black pepper; stir.
3. Lower heat and simmer for 20 minutes
4. Add sherry continue to simmer for 2-3 minutes.
5. Remove from heat; add cream, stir to combine.
6. Add parsley and basil to taste. Serve
Tip: To serve add some grated parmesan on top
If you want a smooth soup after the 20 minutes run the soup through a sieve.