Tuesday, November 16, 2010
Arroz con Pollo (Chicken and Rice)
3 cups rice
1 cup warm water
1/4 tsp saffron threads
2 tsp. turmeric
2 TBSP olive oil
2 cloves garlic, pressed
1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
1 cup celery, diced
1 cup carrot, diced
4 tomatoes, peeled, seeded and diced
2 slices bacon, chopped
1 tsp. cumin
2 tsp oregano, dried
1 TBSP paprika
2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 cup ketchup
2 TBSP tomato paste
2 tsp white vinegar
8 oz. canned tomato sauce
1 lb. chicken thighs and drumsticks, skinless
8 oz beer, any variety
2 cups chicken stock
2 TBSP capers, drained
1/4 cup pimento stuffed olives
1 cup frozen peas, thawed and drained
juice of 1/2 lime
1. Place the rice in a medium-sized bowl. Stir the saffron threads and turmeric into the warm water, then add the water to the bowl with rice, stir. Set aside.
2. In a heavy pot over medium-high heat add the olive oil. Once the oil is hot, add the onions, and bacon and cook for 5 minutes. Add the garlic, onion, celery, carrot and tomatoes; cook 5-8 minutes.
3. Stir in the cumin, paprika, salt and pepper and continue to cook for another 5 - 10 minutes.
4. Add the ketchup, tomato paste,vinegar, tomato sauce and chicken to the pot, stirring to ensure the chicken is coated, then reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover and cook for 15 minutes, turning the chicken over every few minutes.
5. Add the beer, chicken stock and raise the heat to high. When the pot begins to boil, add the contents of the bowl with the rice. Add the capers and olives
6. Bring the liquid back to a boil, then cover and reduce the heat to low. Continue to simmer for 20 minutes, undisturbed. Remove from heat, stir in the peas and lime juice and let the pot sit for 5 - 10 minutes, covered.
Tip: At this point I remove the chicken from the pot, let cool slightly and shred into bite size pieces then add back to the rice, blend well and serve.
Serve with lime slices, aji and a squirt of ketchup. Also pairs well with ripe fried plantains or avocado slices