Tuesday, November 16, 2010
Minty Lettuce Soup
Once you taste the final product nobody will guess it's lettuce, I was skeptical when I first tried it but I was very pleasantly surprised at the creamy, delicious flavor. How many times have you had to throw out lettuce because it turned brown in the crisper better known as the rotter? Now you can put it to great use.
2 heads iceberg lettuce, roughly chopped
1 cup onion, sliced
1/2 cup packed fresh mint
6 cups vegetable broth
2 TBSP butter
2 TBSP all purpose flour
1/2 cup cream
1. Put the lettuce, onion, mint and vegetable broth in a large pot.
2. Bring to a boil then lower heat to medium and simmer for 25 minutes; cool slightly
3. Place in a blender for one minute then strain; set aside
(You will have to do this in 2 stages to not fill the blender too much)
4. Melt the butter in a medium pan over medium heat, add the flour and stir one minute.
5. Add the soup and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
6. Remove from heat, add the heavy cream and salt & pepper to taste
Tip: To serve add a sprinkle of parmesan cheese and a fresh mint leaf to decorate. You can also use any variety of lettuce you have on hand, romaine works great too.